Chapter thirty-three

The University Library, Kinspit
 
Kathleen sat down on a stool in the Archivist’s room. It was piled up everywhere with documents, maps and illustrations, so that what had once been a rather large room was now really quite tiny.  A thick ledger sat on a small desk next to a long quill and ink. Logotheton pulled a rickety chair from under his desk and sat down on it; they were sitting only about three feet apart.
‘Sorry’ he said, ‘I seem to have rather filled this room up, don’t I?’
Kathleen nodded. She just hoped that he knew where everything was.
‘How can I help you, Dr Mannings?’ he said politely
‘I’m looking for a booklet or an instruction manual’
The Archivist pulled out some wire-framed spectacles from a desk and put them on.
‘Oh…’ he murmured, ‘how unusual – we get very few requests for that sort of thing’
He looked at Kathleen thoughtfully.
‘Are you sure this is quite the right place?’ he asked, ‘such things often turn up in the second-hand book shops on the Zephuros Road’ 
He sat back and considered this more fully.
‘It’s named after the West Wind you know… it’s definitely worth a bit of a potter…’
‘I’m not sure that I have time to potter at the moment, I’m afraid’ said Kathleen as patiently as she could manage, ’I’m in rather a hurry’.
Logotheton smiled and nodded his head vaguely. Kathleen sighed a little – it was always a waste of time to talk about hurrying to any Elven scholar.
‘Umm’ he continued, ‘what thing is the manual for?’
Kathleen saw no point in being coy about this.
‘It’s a reality still’ she said, and the Archivist looked confused.
‘Is that a device that slows down time?’ he ventured. 
‘No’ said Kathleen bluntly, ‘it’s a device for distilling different fractions of reality’
Logotheton considered this for a very long time, rocking slightly on his chair. For a while Kathleen wondered if he’d fallen asleep. Then he looked up at her and smiled.
‘I’ve never heard of that’ he said, ‘it must be something rather specialist… it certainly sounds like something a bit special, I’d say…do you know who made it?’
Kathleen shook her head and pulled the fading instruction notes out of her bag. She made to hand them over to the Archivist. He shook his head briefly.
‘Let me get my gloves first’
He picked up some very fine cloth gloves from the desk and pulled them on. After that he lifted the ledger from the desk and placed it very carefully on the only bare patch that he could find on the floor. Only then did he take the papers, flattening them on the desk and examining them very carefully.
Kathleen explained where they had come from and approximately what the still did. He listened very intently all the while reading and examining the weft and weave of the paper.
‘This document is worth preserving in itself you know’ he said, admiringly.
Kathleen was momentarily ashamed for having taped it to her workbench but what was done was done.
‘Let’s see shall we…’ said the earnest young elf.
He got up and picked his way across the room to another door, exactly opposite the door where they had originally entered.  They went through it into a vast room full of ledgers, all of them exactly like the one he had just moved from his desk. Each ledger was hung up on a cord that was tied at right angles to thicker central ropes stretched across the room. There were four rows of the thicker cords and they ran on along the narrow room for as far as Kathleen could see.
‘Let’s start with atrekeia…’
Logotheton walked along the narrow space between the suspended ledgers until he came to the right area. He pulled a few of the books down and pored through them but none of them seemed to be relevant.  He touched his head and turned back to Kathleen.
‘Let’s look somewhere else, shall we…‘
He tried several more words that meant ‘reality’ in Archaic Elven: entelikheia, ontotes, huparI,  but with no success. Time dragged on and he began to make noise about stopping for a cup of coffee. Kathleen prodded him to try something else.
‘Something more do with distilling?’ she suggested.
‘On to staktos, then!’ he said, revelling in the sound of the word.
 ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if he liked his tipple’, thought Kathleen, ‘something must have addled his brain’. 
He walked back almost the entire length of the room and repeated the laborious search in his catalogues. The minutes dragged on and Kathleen wondered if she was wasting her time. She could see the haystack alright but where was that bloody needle? 
‘Eureka!’ he said suddenly, slightly archly. He seemed very pleased with himself, but then his smile faded as he read on.
‘Oh, right’ he said to himself, ‘oh dear’
Kathleen began to get very curious and equally worried.
‘What’s wrong?’ she asked
Logotheton closed the book and hung it back on its chord. He looked a little flustered.
‘I have found a reference to a manual for that device’ he said ‘but it is a particularly unusual and exceptional apparatus’
‘I know…’ said Kathleen, with a slight edge in her voice.
‘It seems that the manual is in the ESR’
He let this fact hang meaningfully in the air. Kathleen was getting increasingly tense and frustrated.
‘What on earth is that?’ she asked
‘I’m sorry’ said the Archivist, ‘I was forgetting that you wouldn’t know that…’
Kathleen waited. It was a while before he answered. He seemed to be assessing something in his mind.   
‘It’s the Exotic Stack Room’
‘Which is?’
‘A room at the very bottom of the library where our special material of… umm… unusual provenance is kept’
Kathleen had had enough of this. It was time to get to the point.
‘You mean material from Helios don’t you?’
He looked up her, startled but also, she thought, rather impressed. He thought for a moment or two.
‘Well, yes – indeed – from the Twin Worlds’
‘Why do you keep it there?’ asked Kathleen
Again the Archivist hesitated as if calculating something.
‘Away from prying eyes’ he explained.
‘Is it dangerous then?’
‘No, not really – but you know’
Kathleen wasn’t sure that she entirely knew but that really didn’t matter at the moment.
‘Can I see the material?’ she asked directly.
The elf looked at her carefully. He seemed to be in two minds.
‘I don’t think so… umm… I’m not sure’
‘Why would you exclude me?’ she muttered crossly
He murmured something quietly that she didn’t catch.
‘I am a scholar and a Hybitor member’ she reminded him ‘I think I have a right…’
As she got more indignant his ability to resist seemed to ebb away.  He shrugged and pulled out a slip of paper from his pocket.
‘You’ll need to show this’ he said handing her the ticket.  Then he pointed to the door at the end of the room.
‘Go through there and go as far down as you can. Then you’ll come to a red door – you can’t miss it it’s the only thing at the end of the staircase’
She put the ticket very carefully in her bag and began walking towards the door.
‘Oh’ he said,
Kathleen stopped and turned back to talk to him.
‘Yes?’
’Be ready for a bit of a surprise’  
‘What do you mean?’ she asked, uncertainly.
‘When you meet the stack librarian…’ he said
‘Why?’
‘She is rather unusual’
‘In what way is she unusual?’
Logotheton smiled a rather self-indulgent smile.
‘Oh in many ways… now…where should I start? She is…’
Kathleen turned on her heels and walked purposefully towards the door. This was getting ridiculous; he was really beginning to get on her nerves and she was in such a hurry.
‘Thank you, but don’t bother’ she said, waving a hand at him, ‘I’ll find out for myself’

No comments:

Post a Comment