Chapter thirty-four

Castle Uberwald
 
At eleven pm on the night following their conversation, Gerard sneaked Otto into the part of the castle occupied by Lily and Victoria. It was easy because there was only a skeleton-staff of elderly retainers left to guard the place. If any Ethian general had been seeking the perfect time to take the castle, it was now.
Gerard and his guest made their way to the front door of the women’s apartment, creeping through the pitch darkness spread everywhere by a November night. Gerard was enjoying this very much; he hadn’t done this sort of thing for years.
He knocked on the door with a percussionist’s flourish.  There was a considerable delay and then they heard Victoria’s voice outside the door.
‘Who is that at this ridiculous hour? Why can’t you leave us in peace?’
‘It is I – Gerard’
‘What by the gods do you want?’
 ‘I have a distinguished visitor for you…’
 ‘Are you drunk, Mr Hoffman? I should warn you that I have many items in here that would make excellent weapons and I would be delighted to have the opportunity to use them’
‘No, no’ laughed Gerard, ‘you won’t need any weapons. I have Grandmaster Kantor here. He is seeking an audience with the princess’
There was silence from behind the door, initiated by a sharp intake of breath and a cry of ‘no!’.
‘Kantor? Did you say Kantor?’ asked Victoria
‘Yes Miss Jenkins – the Grandmaster of the Knights of the Pale Flame’
‘He can’t come in – I’m sorry. This is an inappropriate time’
Gerard shrugged – he’d been paid and so he didn’t care either way.  He turned to whisper to Otto.
‘We can’t break this door down and sooner or later someone will hear us. I think that it might be time to call it a night’
Otto shook his head. 
‘Try again!’ he commanded.  Gerard took two steps back away from the door and sneered.
‘You try yourself’ said Gerard, ‘I’ve fulfilled my contractual obligation’
Otto looked at him disdainfully.
‘Well, you can go then –I’m sure that I can find my own way back…’
Gerard was tempted to agree to this, but it was probably best to make sure that Otto got out of this part of the castle without being seen.
‘I’ll wait for you out here…’ hissed Gerard, ‘…don’t be long’
Gerard took a few steps back into the darkness in the corridor and seemed to disappear. Otto was impressed despite himself. He returned to the door and knocked on it softly.
‘What now?’
‘It’s me, Otto’ he whispered with his face as close to the door as he could manage, ‘let me in, Vicky – Hoffmann has gone’
There was another long pause and then Victoria opened the door a sliver. As she peered out a thin shaft of light illuminated the black corridor. She saw Gerard very briefly as he shifted to avoid the sudden splash of light. She wondered how much of this he had heard.
‘It is you!’ she said, very quietly, ‘how can that be?’
‘It’s a long story’ said Otto, ‘but I can only tell it to you let me in’
 
***
 
As soon as Otto had entered the apartment Lily had woken up. She came down into the hallway from her room, dressed in a purple dressing gown, and demanding to know what was going on. Otto and Victoria both shot looks at each other both begging and promising each other not to reveal any secrets.
Otto bowed low. Lily stood up straight and showed her appreciation for this gallant gesture by smiling graciously. 
‘Who is our visitor, Miss?’
‘I think you’d better ask him that yourself,’ said Victoria, uncertainly, ‘to be honest I have no idea who it is that he claims to be’
‘I am Otto Kantor, Grandmaster of the Knights of the Pale Flame’
Lily looked confused. She scanned him up and down, noting his clothing.
‘So there’s a crimson flame and a pale flame…?’ she ventured.
‘That’s right, your majesty, we represent complementary organisations, united in our desire to serve the Emperor’
‘Really’ said, Victoria, almost under her breath ‘how extraordinary!’
‘Why are there two groups of knights?’ asked Lily, ignoring Victoria as far as she could, ‘wouldn’t it be better if everyone joined a single army?’
Otto looked at her with a very serious expression. He chose his words carefully.
‘There are differences of – shall we say – emphasis, between the two groups. The Crimson Flame Knights concentrate on the active pursuit of feats of arms, of heroic interventions and of territorial re-conquest. The Pale Flame Knights, on the other hand, believe in the less direct qualities of ascetism, meditation and the spiritual life. We believe in using our souls in the pursuit of the Emperor’s will’
‘Do you not have an army, then?’ asked Lily
‘An army?’ asked Otto, rhetorically, ‘we do have an army, yes, princess, but we fight only when we feel the spirits demand it and if the war is just’
‘Why are you here now, then?’ asked Victoria.
Lily glared at her and Otto ignored her. Lily seemed to have forgotten her plight, briefly, in the excitement of being referred to as a proper princess.
‘So, what role do you have in this particular – umm – military thing?’ she asked
‘We are observers and spiritual guides’
Victoria had had enough of this nonsense. She pushed Otto back a step and interposed herself between him and Lily. 
‘Did you advise the Baron to kidnap Lily and me? Was that your suggestion?’
Otto took another step back and held his hands out to preserve his personal space. He looked enquiringly into Victoria’s eyes. He was clearly shocked.
‘Kidnapped?’ he said, ‘what do you mean?’
Victoria shook her head several times.
‘Don’t pretend to me that you didn’t know that we’ve been abducted. Why do you think we’re up here at all?’
Otto looked round at Lily, who had now reverted back to petulant teenage girl and was standing with her hands on her hips, looking angrily at him.
‘I really didn’t know’ he said, ‘I only know that you’re here because I happened to see you when I arrived’
‘How can that be true?’ barked Victoria, ‘you surely have the confidence of the Baron, don’t you?’
Otto looked away from Victoria and back to Lily. Both women had now folded their arms and were standing together.    
‘Is it true, Princess?’ he asked, ‘Have you been kidnapped?’
Lily laughed.
‘You’re not a very clever Grandmaster are you?’ she said, relaxing a little from her confrontational pose.
‘Perhaps not’, admitted Otto, ‘when I asked von Eisen about your presence here he simply said that you were betrothed to his nephew. I just thought that it was dynastic politics – I didn’t realise…’
Lily sprang forward and grabbed his hand. He bowed again rather awkwardly.
‘I order you to help to free us’ she said, ‘that horrid Baron is going to attack Amansk and I bet that my father won’t fight back because he’s scared of something happening to me’
Otto blinked a few times but was temporarily lost for words.
‘Well, grandmaster, will you help us, or not?’ demanded Victoria
Otto groaned slightly and brushed his hand across his now sweaty forehead.
‘I don’t think that I can,’ he said, ‘this is the Baron’s castle and there are strict feudal rules about not trespassing on a fellow knight’s hospitality. Also, he is my peer, only just below the Emperor. I cannot easily go against his will’
‘So, you think that the Emperor approves of kidnapping and annexation, do you?’ asked Victoria
‘It’s not really annexation’ he argued, ‘Amansk is an Imperial city’
‘No it’s not’ shouted Lily, ‘it’s my father’s city’
Otto shrugged, his long blond hair shaking over his shoulders.
‘Well, I do not think the Emperor would accept that’ he said, picking out every word very carefully.
‘What about the kidnapping?’ asked Lily, her voice rising in tone, ‘you have to do something about that!’
Otto had now regained his composure. I looked back at Lily with unwavering eyes.
‘I will talk to the Baron when I have the opportunity and make clear my opposition to any abduction that might have taken place. However, I’m in no position to do any more’
Lily advanced on Otto menacingly. Victoria responded instantly, walking over to Lily and gently pulled her back from the knight: it would not be becoming for a princess to slap a grandmaster, however entertaining it would have been to watch. Lily fell into Victoria’s arms weeping.
‘It’s so unfair!’ she yelled, ‘why won’t anyone help us?’
Victoria glared at Otto; his face was flushed and damp.  
‘This audience is at an end’ said Victoria, firmly.
‘Lily – go to your room. I will come in to comfort you in a few minutes’
Lily ran back into the depths of the apartment, leaving Otto and Victoria facing each other.
 
‘What are you playing at?’ asked Victoria
Otto was looking back at the door, wondering whether Gerard was trying to listen at it.
‘I’m not playing, Vicky – it’s all true’
‘What – that you’re a spiritual knight? It seems rather unlikely. You must have changed a lot!’
Otto turned to look at her and nodded intently.
‘I have. Anyway, that was twenty years ago; people alter considerably in that time. Just look at you!’
‘What’s that supposed to mean?’
She looked down at herself shamefacedly and the realised that he didn’t mean her physical appearance. He’d hardly looked away from her face the whole time he had been in the apartment. He had never been a shallow person and maybe he hadn’t even notice that she had been considerably narrower the last time they had met.  
‘You’re babysitting a princess’ he whispered, ‘that didn’t seem like a job that would have suited you twenty years ago’
Victoria glared at him and put her hand to her mouth.
‘Be quiet’ she commanded, ‘Lily doesn’t know anything about that…’
 Otto looked slightly ashamed.
‘I’m sorry’ he said, very quietly, ‘you know I wouldn’t do anything purposely to hurt you. I still remember…’     
Victoria made a motion with both her hand and head for him to stop.
‘That was all a very long time ago and, I’m sure you recall, it ended badly for everyone ’  
‘And you’ve turned your back on all of that have you?’ he asked
‘I had no choice, as you know. I was expendable…’
Otto fumbled for the words.
‘We could have run away together’ he finally said, and it seemed to both of them that time had suddenly jumped back.
His look became imploring. Victoria remembered that look very well. It was time to stop all of this nonsense.    
‘How many times do I have to tell you – I was using you. You know that I had my orders’
Otto shook his head unbelievingly.
‘You were a truly marvellous actress then’
 ‘Yes, well, maybe I was. We were taught lots of useful things at the academy – not just spying and sword craft’
Otto’s face had turned from red to grey, but he held his ground. It was so many years since he had last seen her, but his feelings were the same.
‘I still don’t believe you’
‘Then you are deluding yourself Prince Otto, just as you did then. I was employed to turn you, and now it seems that I may have only succeeded in addling your brain. If you had really believed in the things that you professed to value then then you would have found a way to change things for the better, instead of just giving up…’
‘It was too difficult – there were too many hard minds to change…’
Victoria dismissed him with a wave of her hand. She seemed as cool as ice, but her heart was thumping so loudly that even if she had wanted too she could never have let him come any closer for fear of him hearing it.   
 ‘Anyway, how can we have this conversation here, twenty years on?’ she asked, ‘surely you’ve moved on from that?’
Otto considered this, remembering the well of years that had opened between them.
‘Well, I have embraced poverty, celibacy and self-control,’ he eventually said, ‘do you know why? Can you guess?’
Victoria’s mouth was set into a hard line. This had to stop before it ran out of control. Her only concern must be Lily.
‘I don’t want to know:  not now – not ever’ she said. She knew she had no choice but to turn away from him.   
There was the noise of restrained coughing outside the apartment. They both turned towards it.
‘I’d better go’ said Otto, ‘that fool Hoffmann is just outside’
Victoria had had enough anyway. She walked forward and opened the door.  Otto made his way to it reluctantly.  
‘You have to help us – you know that you have to – not for me, but because it’s the right thing to do’ said Victoria
‘I can’t’ said Otto, sadly, ‘I really don’t think that there’s any way that I can… ’
Victoria pushed him out of the door without another word and slammed it. As soon as the door was firmly shut she went to find Lily, who of all the people in world needed her most.  

No comments:

Post a Comment