Chapter six

The Parade Ground, Ortia
 
Aurelian leant on Perclivius’s old staff. He was inspecting his expeditionary force and it was, well, to be honest, disappointing. After much haggling, Marthian had agreed to allow a guard of ten elves for Viola, Potentilla and Kath. That made twelve combatants and one civilian. Both of them knew that this wasn’t enough, but neither the proconsul nor her general was willing to send no-one. So, this was the uneasy compromise – ten young, relatively inexperienced, fit young elves, almost none of whom had been more than a few miles outside Ortia. They had considered sending one of the very few elves that remained who had been to Visnea, but they were all either too old or too fat, and many of them were both.
The party stood to attention in the courtyard in front of the barracks. Viola stood next to Aurelian, silent but tense.  It was time to pass command to the Captain and prepare for departure.  Kath and Potentilla had not been invited to this little ceremony, and neither had Marthian. This was between the two Ortian officers. 
‘Captain – this is Lieutenant Sedum, he will be your second in command’
Sedum stepped out of the ranks and bowed to Viola. He was tall for an elf and well-built, with the brown skin that indicated that he, like Potentilla, was from the desert fringe.
Viola nodded gravely, as was traditional when acknowledging a subordinate in the Visneorian army.
‘I have asked the lieutenant to accompany you because he was brought up in the far south and knows the arid ways well’ said Aurelian  
Sedum smiled but said nothing and stepped back into line. Viola thought that he looked like a stickler for the rules.
The general gestured towards another elf.
‘And this is Corporal Ajuga’
A very thin and very young looking elf maiden smiled and bowed, this time a lot more loosely than the lieutenant had done.
‘I am pleased to serve, Ma’am’ she said.
Viola nodded formally at her. She seemed very eager.
‘She has just been promoted, after her steadfast and courageous actions during the siege’
‘That’s very good ’said Viola, ‘many congratulations on your promotion, Corporal’
 Ajuga bowed, her face slightly flushed.
Viola sighed. As far as she could see Ajuga was the eldest of the scarcely grown troops that Aurelian wanted to put under her command.  However, there was nothing she could do about it – however full of fears and uncertainty she might be she had to take her responsibilities as the most experienced soldier among them. This was ironic – four months ago she had never lifted a sword in anger, and now… It was best not to dwell on it too much – she really just needed to get on with it. 
‘Thank you, sir’ Viola said, ‘I hope to be ready to go by this time tomorrow afternoon. We just have a few logistical problems to sort out’
Aurelian looked slightly puzzled. They had been planning this for weeks.
‘What logistical problems are they Captain? Maybe I can help you with them?’
Viola frowned.
‘Kath, sir – that’s the logistical problem. I’m not sure there’s much you can do to help us there’
 
Potentilla had been banging on her door for the last ten minutes. Kath’s response to this persistence had been to get more and more irritated, but she should have realised that however colourful her language that she would never put off Potentilla.
Eventually Kath opened the door, her face red and puffy.
‘What is it that you want?’
Potentilla considered this more carefully than she normally considered things.
‘Viola asked me to check how you were.’
Kath scowled.
‘Tell her I’m not going’
Potentilla smiled.
‘Going where?’
‘All the way to Visnea’
Potentilla’s grin broadened, but she looked slightly uncertain.
‘Of course you are, Kath. We’re all going. Haven’t you been listening during those long talks with the proconsul?’
Kath’s glare became malevolent. Potentilla barely noticed.
‘I’m not going without a proper guide or any sort of real protection’
Potentilla’s smile shrunk and her forehead furrowed.
‘Well, that’s silly talk coming from someone who just destroyed a god! In comparison to that this is going to be a cake walk.’
‘I didn’t destroy Whitecloak – Quiena’s automaton did that. I just sat on it’
‘That’s also silly – you found it, you fixed it and you rode it. You were fantastic!’
Kath sighed and shook her head wearily.
‘That was a once in a lifetime experience. Now I think it best if I just go home. I can hitch a ride on a merchant’s cart up to Amansk and then go on north up to Eth’
Potentilla shook her head.
‘That’ll take months, Kath’
‘I’m in no hurry’
‘But we don’t have that much time. The proconsul is keen to get to the Emperor as soon as possible. I thought you knew that?’
Kath’s face softened. It took such a long time to explain to Potentilla anything that she really didn’t want to believe.
‘I’m not coming with you. That’s what I mean, Tillie. I don’t think it’s safe and I want to go home’
She hugged Potentilla, which was always slightly discomforting, as the elf was quite muscular but very thin.
Potentilla pulled herself away and stared into Kath’s eyes, trying to assess, in her rudimentary way, if her friend was being honest.  She looked astonished, and gulped.
‘No! You can’t mean that, surely. We can’t go without you’
‘Tillie, you’ll have to. I think my nerve has failed. I’m no adventurer. Anyway, I’m just a passenger among all of you soldiers’
Kath realised that Potentilla’s eyes had gone suddenly bleary. Her heart sank and she felt that she was the worst person in the world – like she was kicking an eager puppy.
‘No you’re not – you’re Kath – that’s why we’re all here. We’re here to help you’
‘What? That’s nonsense – you’re an imperial soldier. You were accompanying me, protecting me, perhaps…’
‘How is that different?’ asked Potentilla. She rubbed her eyes with her left hand.
‘It is to me. Anyway, I’ve made my mind up – I’m not going’
Kath gently closed the door in Potentilla’s face.

Marthian blamed Viola. They were in Marthian’s office and she was very unhappy.  Viola had been in there for ten minutes and she still hadn’t been invited to sit down. Marthian was sitting at her desk with a sheet of mail paper in front of her.  Every now and then she’d scribble something on a separate piece of rough paper before repeatedly deciding not to commit it to the magical paper.
‘Why haven’t you sorted this out?’ she asked, staring up at her with narrowed eyes. 
Viola said nothing, for the time being. She knew that now was not the time to try self-justification.
‘For a start’ continued Marthian, ‘why don’t you keep that damn fool western elf out of it. She’s about the bravest complete idiot I’ve ever seen’
Viola couldn’t let this pass.
‘Ma’am, you really think you are being a little unfair. This has nothing to do with Lieutenant Potentilla’ 
‘Possibly – but she’s no diplomat, and this needs to be handled exceptionally carefully’
‘I’m trying my best, Proconsul’
‘Are you? I don’t see much sign of that. We really need her to go with you, I’m sure you know that. She may be vital for showing that the City is valued by humans and northern academia; and – she’s the reason that there’s a story at all…’
Viola frowned. This seemed to her to be rather missing the main point.
‘More pressingly’ Viola said, ‘I’m not sure how we’ll get through the Wall without her’
 ‘Surely that’s not an insurmountable problem, is it?’ said Marthian, ‘the Lieutenant went round it before, didn’t she?’
Viola’s frown developed into a scowl and she began to shake her head. She felt suddenly very weary and her hurt leg, which was mostly healed, had begun to throb. Marthian saw the sudden change in her face and reacted immediately.
‘Sit down, my dear Viola – why on earth are you still standing up?’
Viola sat down gratefully. Marthian scanned her face again, but now seemed happy with what she saw.
‘Anyway – can’t you go round the wall, like I said?’
Viola shook her head again.
‘To the south it may be very difficult. There may still be threats from Tlaxaca and if we run into the nomads who helped Potentilla and Fred, then we’d have to explain how we managed to get their prince killed’
‘Yes, true, I suppose; the last thing we want is to make enemies of any Algharian tribes’
 ‘As for going north – that means travelling next to Portalis, and I’m certain we don’t have the military might to get past there’
Marthian nodded grimly. Viola continued.
‘My view is that our best bet is to travel south of the Great Western Road, just as Rem did and make for the same portal that Kath got through. We now know that Kath can use the rod to control the portal guardians, as they were designed by Ophia’
‘And if that doesn’t work?’ asked Marthian
 ‘Then I suppose we can try going north, hugging the eastern side of the wall, and hope to sneak past the Portalis patrols, but that has to be very much a final resort’
Marthian put her quill down. 
‘We’re agreed then. Kath has to go with you to get you through the Wall and you’re the best placed to persuade her. I could try to put pressure on  her, but she sees me as an authority figure – and I sense that she doesn’t really like authority figures…’
‘Why does that make me best placed to persuade her, ma’am?’
‘Because you’re her friend and because you’ve been through so much together’
Viola knew that she wouldn’t be able to wriggle out of this responsibility, but she was temporarily at a loss. She looked down at the white mail paper.
‘Were you going to write to Mr Ismay, ma’am?’
Marthian smiled slightly coyly and shook her head almost apologetically.
‘Actually, no, I was going to write to Mr Hardacre’
It was Viola’s turn to smile.
‘Of course, ma’am – I would do the same’
Viola sat in silence for a moment, thinking of the tall, greying, courteously reserved human and how he had led them so reluctantly and so well.  She could do the reluctant bit without much trouble, but the other bits she really wasn’t sure about. 
‘I wish that I had half of Mr Hardacre’s personal abilities’ continued Viola, ‘then I’d know what do about Kath’
‘We’ll, don’t look at me’ said Marthian, ‘I can’t compete. I don’t pretend to have any more than the very rudiments of leadership skills, Captain’
‘He was good at it…’ murmured Viola, ‘I can remember when Rem was insistent that he would leave the group, just before we got to Melloreis, and Laurence pretended…’
She broke off suddenly.
‘I’ve just had an idea’
Marthian looked up eagerly from her reverie.
‘Yes?’
‘I need to go and talk to Potentilla’
Marthian’s face darkened again. 
‘We’ve discussed her. How on earth will that help?’
‘I need to teach her all about amicable contracts’  

No comments:

Post a Comment