Chapter thirteen

The Praefectus’s Residence, Amansk
                                                 
Baron Von Eisen wrote the ransom note, with a little help from Lord Balliwick, and then passed it on to his aide de camp, Captain Hesse. Hesse took it to Lucian Petroff, the knights’ most trusted Amanskian merchant, who had his coachman ride his coach swiftly back down the mountain to the city of Amansk, where he delivered it to Praefectus Arnon’s residence. For that service the knights paid him twenty barbars, twice the amount that he could ever make on a normal trading run.  Then he had an additional job taking another letter down to Ortia, which was going to make him a lot more money. All his birthdays had come at once. 
Lily had been missing for three days and her family were searching around for an explanation for the disappearance. Had she been attacked by wild animals? Had she been kidnapped? Where was her governess? Had she been kidnapped by her governess?
Arnon sent out troops and even his residential guard to search the area around Lake Berren and the surrounding woodlands. There were no obvious signs of a struggle, and, thankfully, no body. The search widened over the next day and the next, and everyone began to give up hope. When the ransom demand finally came, therefore, it was received with a sort of relief.
 
The Praefectus was in his study when he was given the note. He knew immediately what it was.
 
To Lord Arnon, Praefectus of Amansk and Angmaroya
Greetings!
I am Baron Helmut von Eisen, Grand Master of the Knights of the Crimson Flame. We are the carriers of the eternal imperial flame, dedicated to one object and one object alone: to recover the lost eastern provinces of the Visneorian Empire for the Emperor. We are willing to go to whatever lengths are necessary to achieve this end, as our cause transcends individual, group and nation. The Emperor’s needs outweigh all others.
To this end we are holding your daughter as a hostage. She is perfectly safe and will remain so during the time that you co-operate with us. Once we are happy that you will assist us then she will be returned to you, unharmed.
These are our demands.
First, that you provide free passage of a Crimson Flame army through your lands, from the border in the west to that in southern Amansk that abuts with East Visneoria. In addition, you will allow me to station a small garrison in your fair city for entirely defensive purposes.
Second, that you reaffirm your allegiance to the Emperor; an allegiance that you threw off illegally eight hundred and seventy two years ago.  This allegiance will be made to me as the Emperor’s official representative in the north.  It is not our intention that Amansk should be reabsorbed into the Empire at this stage, however. We can assure you that we recognise your sovereignty as a client state and one that has some considerable autonomy.
Third, that you will, by virtue of your position as a vassal of the Emperor, act as a liaison agent in our subsequent dealings with Ortia. It is known to us that you have cordial relations with the citizens of Ortia and you are perfectly placed to inform them of the details of our planned expedition through their lands. I have sent a letter to the Proconsul in Ortia by another hand. We require that you check that the Proconsul has received the letter and ensure that a response arrives back at Castle Uberwald as quickly as possible.
I have sent my envoy, Lord Balliwick, to talk to you, and he should arrive within a few hours of this letter. All that you need to do at this time is to meet him and send back a message with him agreeing to our terms. Once I receive that letter then I will see to it that the process that will lead to your daughter’s release is set in train.
Forward for the Emperor!
Grandmaster Von Eisen
Castle Uberwald
 
Arnon put down the letter and clenched his fists. He let out a roar of anguish and rage and shouted for his assistant, Viktor, who was sorting files in the next room. The eager young man was already running into the room in response to the scream, which had sounded to him, at least for a second or two, like a mountain lion that had somehow crept into the residence. 
 ‘Viktor’ shouted Arnon, pointing down at the letter ‘did you see who delivered this note?’
Viktor picked up the paper and examined the front of it. He made sure that he didn’t read the contents as he hadn’t been given permission to do so.  He looked up at Arnon a little afraid.
‘I think that was Lucian, the fish merchant, sir’
‘How long ago did he leave it?’
Viktor narrowed his eyes and looked thoughtful.
‘Three or four hours ago, I would say… I’m not entirely sure’
‘He’ll be long gone, I expect, anyway, and he’s just the messenger’ 
 ‘Is everything alright, sir? You seem upset’
Arnon handed the letter to Viktor and told him to read it. There was a minute or two’s silence and then Viktor put the note down on the table.
‘Sir – this is dreadful. They must be very evil men’
Arnon could find no answer to this. He slumped down into his chair and buried his face in his hands. The open fire burning in the grate in front of him cast a giant shadow of his head and hands on the wall opposite, as if amplifying his grief.
‘Get my son,’ he sobbed, ‘get him now’
 
***
Toby, the Praefectus’s son, was in the gymnasium fencing with his best and oldest friend, Dominic Shavosky. Both of them were very good, but Toby was a very broad young man and Dom was very slender and so the latter had a clear advantage in agility and speed. However, Dom was sensible enough to let Toby win about fifty one per cent of the time and to do it with such subtlety that Toby, who was in no sense stupid, never noticed.
It was a cold day and although big braziers were burning in the recesses of the gymnasium Dominic was finding it hard to grip the epees.  Toby was laughing at him. Dom was just pleased to be distracting him from his growing fears about his sister.
‘If you drop that blade, I will show no mercy – I hope you realise that’ 
‘Of course my liege, but you will still have to catch me – I am a much faster runner than you’
They continued to circle round each other, with their foils extended, but neither had much interest in a formal duel. 
‘Is that another way of saying that you are a coward, vassal?’
‘Indeed I am, sire. But I will live to fight another day’
‘And you want to be a general in my army? How dare you be so presumptuous! I should definitely run you through’
Dom stared at the button on the ends of their blades.
‘Feel free to try, sire’
‘I will, Sir Dominic, I will, but you probably have to agree to stand still’
He lowered his foil and lined it up against Dom’s now stationary frame. 
‘Not much of a target though, I must say – and so pale. We really need to feed you up’
‘I’m quite happy as I am sire, and fortunately your feasts are not yet compulsory’
‘Just you wait, Dom, they will be…’
‘Then I will retire to my estates and leave you to it, sire’
‘I must teach you a lesson now then, treacherous liegeman!’
Toby roared and pretended to run at Dom full tilt. Their swords met and they grappled theatrically for a few seconds.  Toby pushed hard and Dom went flying through the air. Fortunately Dom could not keep hold of his foil and it slipped down harmlessly on to the wooden floor. He tripped backwards and fell in a heap on his back, jarring his coccyx. He grinned painfully up through the fringe of his floppy strawberry blonde hair.
Toby looked down at him and assessed the damage. Momentarily he was concerned, but he hoped that his friend hadn’t notice this. Once he realised that this was just a bruising, he laughed victoriously, and pulled Dom up roughly.
‘I win again!’
Dom shook his head.
‘I really don’t think you can count that one, Toby. It was scarcely Visnean rules was it?’
‘Umm - a win is a win – but I’m willing to concede your point – for friendships sake’
They bowed to each other and sheathed their blades. Toby stood still and thoughtful for a second.
‘Do you think we will ever have to fight in a real war, Dom?’
Dom looked at his friend uncertainly.
‘Did you say that because you fear that you never will, or because you fear even more that you will?’
‘No – what I mean is that I have no idea how I will feel if I have to fight. What do you think that it’s like?’
‘I have no idea – but I imagine terrifying and chaotic, horrible. Only to be resorted to when everything else has failed’
‘You sound like my father…’
‘Well, he is a very wise man’
Toby looked troubled.
‘If I find that anyone has hurt Lily then I will fight them, I promise you’
‘And so would your father’
Toby’s good humour had now evaporated. He looked accusingly at Dom.
‘And you? Would you?’
Dom flushed and turned away.
‘Alongside you, of course… you know that I would. You and Lily are my closest friends’
Toby’s expression was now stony.
‘You know that that’s not what I meant…’
Dom turned to face Toby again.
‘Leave it, Toby, now is not the time.’
Viktor entered the gymnasium with a wild look in his eye. They had never seen him look like this before. Something had changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment