Chapter forty-three

Castle Uberwald
 
Victoria herded them all inside the apartment, hoping that no-one had seen their unexpected guest. She took them into the dining room, the room buried furthest into the middle of their living space.  She placed Lily at the exact opposite end of the room from Hardacre and then stood directly in front of him with her arms folded.
‘If you know my sister so well, Mr Hardacre, tell me something about her’
Hardacre controlled his facial muscles. He had really felt like frowning, but it was vital that he won Victoria over.
‘Her given name is Elizabeth, she lives in Eth City, and she works for the High Lord. She is a special advisor to his court. She looks very like a slightly older version of you, Miss Jenkins and she shares your assertive characteristics…’
 Victoria shook her head and refused to yield.
‘So, you live in Eth City do you? Is that how you know Liz?’
Hardacre allowed himself a very small smile - he couldn’t imagine anyone calling Councillor Jenkins ‘Liz’.
‘No, I do not live in Eth City’ he explained, ‘I live in Kinspit in Southern Paror’
Victoria narrowed her eyes and frowned. She looked around at Lily as if expecting that Hardacre might have cast a spell on her. Satisfied that she had not been transformed into any kind of amphibian, she turned back to Hardacre.
‘Kinspit? That’s on the other side of the world’ she spluttered, ‘how can you have ever met her?’
‘She is a member of a special committee that I serve as part of my duties’
‘Duties?’ asked Victoria, aware that she risked getting distracted, ‘what duties are they?’
‘I am a gentleman’s servant, a valet’
Victoria laughed, snorting as she did so. She looked quizzically at the small ball of fur that was now asleep in Lily’s arms.
‘I really don’t think that you are, Mr Hardacre’ she said, ‘valets rarely carry teleporting magical mammals…’
Hardacre nodded his agreement of the strangeness of what was happening.
‘I am also a reluctant diplomat and general factotum. I help out where I can’
Victoria was determined to refocus the conversation.
‘What committee?’ she asked, ‘what possible committee could you and my sister have ever met on. It seems inconceivable…’ 
Then the truth began to dawn. There was one shadowy committee that they could have met on, one that she knew about from her days working for the government, but that she knew very little about otherwise. It was also one that Elizabeth would kill, possibly literally, to be sit on.
‘Is this committee thirteen strong, by any chance, Mr Hardacre?’
A ripple of disquiet slowly made its way across Hardacre’s face. It soon disappeared. He surrendered to circumstance.
‘Yes, Miss Jenkins, it is’
Victoria was about to blurt out everything that she knew about the Hybitor, express her astonishment at her sister’s elevation to the council, and generally spew out an extraordinariness of information. But then she caught Hardacre’s eye again – he was giving her that look that she had not seen for decades, the look that said ‘need to know’. Without any warning an ancient, almost forgotten, reflex triggered in her mind. Her mouth shut tight and she knew that this was something that she should keep secret. There was no need for these two young royal people to know about the internal workings of the Ethian state, no reason at all.  Without fully realising it, Victoria had begun to think like a spy again.
 ‘What are you two talking about?’ asked Lily, sounding exasperated.
Victoria walked over to her and gave her a reassuring pat on the arm.
‘My sister and Mr Hardacre are both on the ancient monument committee in Eth. It’s an extraordinary coincidence. ‘
Lily yawned.
‘It sounds fascinating, miss!’ she paused for a second, ‘however… can we escape now?’
 Victoria sank into one of the dining room chairs and nodded for everyone else to do the same. Hardacre sat down looking mildly surprised but not unpleased; Erik fell onto his seat and started drumming his fingers on the table; and Lily collapsed into an arm chair close to where she had been standing.
‘I think it’s time to find out what is going on’ said Victoria, ‘Mr Hardacre, perhaps you’d tell us what you’re doing teleporting around the place with a mutant rodent…’
Hardacre looked over at the tupaia on Lily’s lap, thinking that he would bring her to show the others, but then he thought better of it. She was fast asleep and very comfortable.
‘She’s not a rodent, I’m told’ Hardacre said, ‘she’s a tree shrew of some sort’
Victoria looked at him as if this was a seriously bad example of splitting hairs.
‘More importantly’ he continued, ‘she seems to feed from the energy radiated by users of magic and has an extraordinary ability to track down a really powerful emanation from any distance. We have no idea whether this ability is natural or whether Boo was trained to do it by someone’
‘Boo?’ asked Lily.
Hardacre coughed to cover up this little slip.
‘We call her Boo’
Lily smiled.
‘What a great name! Why do you call her that?’
 ‘Because she’s quite easy to frighten, I think’ said Hardacre, looking uncomfortable, ‘I didn’t name her’
‘And you, Mr Hardacre’ said Victoria sternly, ‘you seem to be very easy to distract…’
 ‘I do apologise’ said Hardacre, ‘to continue – Boo appeared suddenly in the middle of the night to one of my colleagues. She was woken up by the creatures buzzing on her chest; a rather odd way to be interrupted in your sleep, as I am sure you can imagine’
‘Sounds like a nice way to me’ said Lily
‘So, are there others of her kind?’ asked Erik, making a face at Lily, ‘have you examined their internal anatomy?’
‘Erik! Don’t be so vile’ squeaked Lily
‘We have no idea’ replied Hardacre, carefully answering the first part of Erik’s question only, ‘she is the only one of her kind that we have ever found; and I can tell you, we have looked far and wide’
‘Tree shrews are usually found in tropical rain forests’ said Erik, ‘you should look there’
Hardacre nodded.
‘We have, I’m sure’  
‘Who are ‘we’, then?’ asked Lily, a note of suspicion in her voice, ‘the ancient monument people?’  
Hardacre ignored her and tried to plough on with his story.
‘We now use Boo as a tracking creature’ he explained, ‘if you hold her next to a device or object that has been recently enchanted by someone of high magical ability then she will pick up the magical ‘scent’ and pursue them vigorously; in fact, through large volumes of space, however distant. She may be able to go straight to a magical signal if it’s strong enough...’
Victoria looked intensely sceptical.
‘How is that possible?’ she asked
Hardacre decided that this wasn’t really the time to start explaining about thaumic traces, so a little grey lie seemed most prudent.
‘We don’t yet know yet, but we’re working on it. But that fact that I’m here provides some good empirical evidence of what she can do, I would say’
Victoria frowned.
‘You might have come from two villages away….’
 Hardacre smiled politely.
‘I came from Paror’ he explained
Victoria’s face was a mask of doubt, but she kept quiet and let him continue.
‘So, that’s why I’m here. I am on the trail of an evil witch or mage of considerable power, whose experiments are causing a lot of trouble; and, he or she was clearly here fairly recently and may have been staying in the apartment that Boo blinked into’
Everyone looked towards Erik. He sat upright in his chair looking very confused.
‘Erik’ said Victoria very carefully, ‘do you know who was in that apartment recently?’
Erik looked even more bemused; it was as if he was trying to remember a very difficult memory puzzle.
‘I’m afraid not,’ said Erik, ‘I don’t really notice that sort of thing. My uncle has lots of visitors; any one of them could be a powerful evil witch, I suppose…’
‘Really?’ said Lily, ‘how cool is that!’
Victoria gave her a hard stare. Lily giggled briefly and then shut up.
‘So,’ said Victoria, ‘when the creature teleports, you can follow her?’
‘Using a special… err… trick, yes’ confirmed Hardacre, distressed, as usual, by the need to talk about magic, ‘but it’s a very powerful and exceptionally tiring… trick. I can only…umm… effect it about once a day’    
‘You mean it’s a spell?’ asked Lily, eagerly, ‘is that what you mean?’
Hardacre face was expressionless: if they couldn’t work out what he was talking about then he wasn’t going to give them any more help.
‘I was planning to follow the lead again once I was rested, but that will have to wait until we can get out of this castle’
The others murmured their grateful assent, even Erik. Hardacre looked up at him, puzzled.
‘Prince Erik?’
Erik smiled and nodded.
‘Are you a captive here as well?’
 ‘He’s no captive’ said Victoria, ‘he’s here to woo Lily; and he’s making a complete pig’s ear of it…’
Lily giggled.
‘Miss Jenkins is right; he’s absolutely no use at all’
Erik looked mildly stung, but not fatally wounded.
‘He’s about the most ineligible suitor I have ever met!’ continued Lily, ‘just look at his silly face!’
Erik nodded in complete agreement. He’d obviously given this subject a lot of thought.
‘Well, I like Lily but I wouldn’t want to marry her’ he murmured, ‘I’ve got too many other things to do’.
Lily stood up and glared stony-faced at him. Tears began to form on her cheeks.
‘That’s not what you’re meant to say!’ she sobbed, ‘I’m allowed to tease you, but you are not allowed to say that about me! I’m pretty and I’m a princess! Of course you want to marry me!’
She stood up, handing Boo to Hardacre. Then she stormed off out of the room, throwing looks of implicit command at both Victoria and Erik as she went. Victoria chose to ignore her but Erik was up on his feet immediately.
‘Lily’ he implored, as he ran after her, ‘I don’t understand - you are very pretty. I thought you just said that I was a useless suitor…’
The sounds of their voices faded down the corridor.
 
Victoria and Hardacre sat opposite each other across the dining room table. It was time to come clean.
 ‘So, you work for the Hybitor, Mr Hardacre?’  
‘Yes, I do; and you haven’t always been a governess, have you, Miss Jenkins?’
‘That’s true; I was in the diplomatic corps under High Lord Ecclestone, twenty years ago’
‘So, you were a spy?’
‘Yes, Mr Hardacre, I was a diplomatic spy’
Victoria glanced up at the door to check that neither of the teenagers were on their way back.
‘We represent natural allies, then, Miss Jenkins’
Victoria smiled, she hadn’t had a conversation like this for years and she’d be lying to herself if she pretended that she wasn’t enjoying it.
‘Perhaps we are, but first we have to get out of this castle’
Hardacre considered this.
‘Well, given your background, I wondered if you’d developed any plans yourself?’
Victoria smiled; her eyes were bright.
‘Not really’ she said, ‘I thought I’d wait for you to turn up...’
Hardacre was momentarily confused. ‘But, we’ve never met before...’ he began, but then realised she was joking. Victoria’s smile broadened.
 ‘...and I must say,’ she continued, ‘you’ve really taken your time’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment