Visnea
‘Why
should I co-operate?’ asked Kath, as soon as they had got back to their rooms, ‘that
stupid elf is planning to remove our friend from her position. Why would I want
to help make that happen?’
They had only just entered the central living
room in their imperial apartment when this argument had started. Kath was
determined to get it all out in the open as quickly as possible.
‘Because
the city is clearly in peril,’ answered Viola, ‘and because we cannot disobey a
direct order from my lawfully empowered monarch’.
‘You’re just trying to be brave and noble’
sneered Kath, ‘and it doesn’t suit you. I think I preferred you before you
became Quiena’s representative on earth’
‘What do you plan to do, then?’ asked Viola, astonished
at the tone of Kath’s attack.
‘Go home’ said Kath, ‘I’ve been planning to
do that for the last several months, but you haven’t let me’
‘You can’t go home’ insisted Viola, ‘you’re
an integral part of the plan’
‘Am I wearing a uniform?’ snapped Kath, ‘am I
am elf? Can I live for a zillion years?’
‘You can’t abandon us now’ said Viola, hardly
able to believe what she was hearing, ‘you can’t just walk away. Doesn’t the
fate of the city and our friendship mean anything to you?’
‘Don’t try and persuade me with that Hardacre
mind games crap. It’s all got too messy and difficult, and I need to get away.
I’ve had enough’
Viola looked around to try to get moral
support from Potentilla, and realised that for the last five minutes she had
been sitting on a bench and staring out into space. Kath couldn’t help but
follow Viola’s gaze. They were both astonished to discover that the western elf
hadn’t been listening to them at all.
Potentilla looked up at them with big, grave,
eyes. She frowned at Viola.
‘I’d like to prove that it’s deserved, ma’am’
she said, ‘I really would’
Viola stared at her blankly.
‘What?’ she said, with an edge of irritation.
‘You said that I had been promoted, but I’m
sure that I wasn’t. I think that you
lied to the Emperor to try to help me.
That was very kind, but…’
Potentilla stood up and shuffled to her
version of attention. She looked very
determined.
‘I want to do something that would really
make me worth a commission, ma’am’
‘You really do deserve promotion, Lieutenant;
surely you’re aware of that?’
Potentilla shook her head; she looked upset.
Kath’s heart sank – she knew exactly what was coming next.
‘I don’t think so’ she said in a slightly
quavering voice, ‘I need you two to help me’
Kath held her hands up in a gesture of
repudiation.
‘No, Tillie, don’t do this to me! I need to
go home’
Potentilla looked at Viola uncertainly.
‘What did she say? How can she be leaving? We
can’t open the gate without her, can we?’
Viola shrugged. She rested her hand on the
table and waited.
Kath felt the whirlpool sucking her down
again. How was it possible to get so tangled up in the big things that none of
the small things mattered anymore. The ruined city, the war against evil, the
relief of the white city, these were all things way beyond her abilities, and
yet, here she was expected to contribute, not just once, but over and over
again.
‘You can open the gate without me’ she said,
‘Viola and Quiena seem to know what to do…’
‘But you’re the one who knows all about
Dwarven Magic – who knows what problems we might need to solve…’ said
Potentilla
‘I’ve really had enough Tillie – I’m way out
of my depth!’
‘We can all use that excuse, I think’ Viola
murmured
Potentilla came over to look at Kath very
carefully. The she put her hand on the top of her head, as if she were a
spiritual healer trying to find out what was wrong with someone’s brain. In
fact, she was attempting to examine a phenomenon that she had seen many times
before but had never comprehended.
‘So, are you giving up?’ asked Potentilla,
‘just when everything is really difficult?’
‘Everyone had to go home at some point,
Tillie. After all, Rem did, didn’t he?’
Potentilla breathed in sharply; her face was
like thunder.
‘Only after he’d done everything that he
could – only after all of his work was done’
All that Kath wanted to do was run away, but it looked like she wasn’t going to be allowed to.
All that Kath wanted to do was run away, but it looked like she wasn’t going to be allowed to.
‘I have no moral obligation to you, or to the
Empire, or even to Ortia and the Proconsul. I’m a scholar, a citizen of Eth and
a human. None of this has anything to do with me’
Kath sighed – it was a valiant rearguard
action that she was fighting but it was doomed to failure. The law of amicable
contracts was stronger and harder than the written laws of nations.
Potentilla turned to Viola, looking very
confused and upset. Having failed to find anything she could understand in
Kath’s behaviour she was now hoping that her leader’s face might give her some
clues.
‘If she wants to go, we can’t stop her’ said
Viola, wearily
‘Is this a human thing, Ma’am?’ asked
Potentilla of Viola, ‘do they do this even when they know that they are really
needed?’
Kath had had enough. She turned and waved her
left hand at them both.
‘Shut up, both of you. I’ll come at least as
far as the wall. I don’t want to. But I will’
Kath hurried out of the room before she could
catch a glimpse of Potentilla’s infuriatingly happy little face.
***
Three
days later the expeditionary army, a scratch force of twenty thousand elven
cavalry mostly drawn from the Emperor’ household troops, was ready. Viola was
astonished at the speed that the imperial military machine had sprung into
action.
The ‘Great Wall Action Team’, as Kath had sarcastically
renamed them, went on with the vanguard of the army, two thousand strong. They
set out half a day before the main body, and were led by a colonel Valerian. He
was an old fashioned, but apparently exceptionally capable, very quiet, man.
Proconsul Antonius travelled with Valerian, and the GWAT had avoided him
completely, even refusing a chance to meet him after their planning session
with Titanius and Valerian. Major Viola claimed that they had ‘far too much
planning of their own to do but she hoped that they would be able to meet soon’.
They
set off on horse and in carriages at first light in the middle of the last week
of November, with the three companions in one of the officer’s coaches. This
method of travel would take them to the wall in just under a day and they were
grateful that it would take them so little time, as Kath was still very sulky
and resentful. The only conversation
they had was a very brief one about the main gate. They knew that it should
open on the Emperor’s secret commands, which Viola had been told in absolute
secrecy, but also that they hadn’t done what they should do for over
nine-hundred years. Kath kept pressing Viola about ‘recent messages from
Quiena’ until it got really annoying. After that they travelled on in silence.
The direct route to the main gate was along a
road that started out optimistically and then slowly petered out dismally. For
the first few hours there were substantial settlements and then the road turned
into a track through dry scrub, full of holly, gorse and broom. They already knew that they could only take
the coaches as far as the wall, but even getting to the wall turned out to be a
struggle.
Eventually, however, the vanguard arrived at
the huge sweeping metal gates that blocked their way. Here the wall was much
wider, it could take an army marching one hundred abreast, and they knew that
there was a deep enclosed tunnel area on the other side of the gate, which
acted as a defensive stronghold when the gate was open.
Viola ordered the army group to stop and got
them to wait a few hundred yards back from the gate entrance. Viola, Potentilla
and Kath then walked forward to the gate. About fifty yards from the edge of
the metal doors Viola went on alone. She had memorised the passwords.
The doors were clearly of the same material
as they had found at the Quienimon Gate, but there was vastly more metal and
the walls were higher. Viola craned her neck to look up, and the uniform height
of the shining surface meant that she felt quite dizzy. She knelt down and put
her ear against the gate, gingerly at first, and then with growing confidence.
There was no music; all she could hear was the deep human of machinery and,
further in, the sound of faint voices and footfalls. She couldn’t quite work
out where those noises were coming from – that was one disadvantage of her
acute hearing; it was not always possible to tell how far away a sound really
was.
She immediately knew, although she did not
know how, that the password wouldn’t work – something had clearly gone wrong.
She went through the motions of whispering the words, but nothing changed. They
would have to get inside the wall and fix whatever was wrong. She worked her
way round the ends of the gate, listening there too.
Viola returned to Kath and Potentilla. They
looked at her expectantly, but with very little hope.
‘It’s not working, is it?’ said Kath, a
little breathlessly, ‘do you want me to have a look’
‘There’s no music’ said Viola, ‘something has
turned it off here at the gate’
Kath tilted her head.
‘Something?’
she said, cold sweat prickling on her brow.
‘Alright – it could well be somebody…’
‘But who?’ asked Kath, shivering
‘I have no idea’ replied Viola, ‘but I can
sense the music either side of the gate and then there is just silence here in
the middle’
Potentilla looked up at the left hand side of
the gate and pointed over to it.
‘There’s a ladder going up the wall’ she
said, eagerly, ‘perhaps we can get inside there and have a poke around’
‘Looks like we have very little choice’
sighed Kath.
The
ladder was bolted to the wall; it was narrow and steep and its rungs were very
closely spaced. It was clearly designed for humanoids who had much shorter legs
than either elves or humans. At the top of the ladder, two thirds of the way up
the wall, was a small service area surrounded by low iron barriers. There was a
hatch at about stomach level, made out of a darker, almost greenish, metal.
This seemed to be some sort of service entrance.
They climbed up to the top and Viola
inspected the hatch. She pushed and pulled it but it didn’t open. She was
slightly surprised, but also relieved, to find that no gesture, word or music
came unbidden into her head.
Kath was watching her closely.
‘Picking up any messages from the great
beyond, Vee?’
Viola glared at her.
‘I think the Wall is dead here – I don’t
think that Ophia has any control over this bit for some reason’
‘Shall I hit it really hard with a hammer,
ma’am?’ asked Potentilla, rather redundantly as they didn’t have a hammer to
hand, but certainly showing willing.
‘No’ barked Viola, ‘I suggest that you just
leave it alone’
Potentilla took a step back, toppled, and
nearly tripped backwards over the safety barrier. Fortunately both Kath and
Viola struck a hand out at the same time and they were able to steady her.
‘Lieutenant’ hissed Viola, ‘stay still’
Kath
inched forward so she was standing right next to Viola.
‘Shall I try?’ she said, softly.
Viola nodded.
Kath reached inside her coat and pulled out
the Dwarven Magic rod, the same rod that they had used to control the green
spheres ten days before. She lifted it up and whispered the trigger words: “Quiena, Ophia”.
They waited, each half hoping that the rod
wouldn’t work and fearing what they would find behind the entrance if it did.
A red glow formed at the edge of the hatch
near its base. Slowly it spread up along the outline of the darker metal and as
it did so there was an odd smell, rather like the odour of a kettle which had
been left to boil dry on a stove. They all shuffled back uncomfortably. The
glow spread from both sides until the two worms of red glow met. Then the
hatch, without any warning, simply fell out of the wall and almost on to Viola’s
foot. There was a clang and then silence.
‘I think that’s the emergency opening procedure’
whispered Kath.
After a very short pause, they crept forward
and looked into the open hatchway. Inside there was a narrow crawl way that
disappeared into the depths of the wall. It looked forbidding, but it was the
only way forward. Viola’s heart started to beat faster and she began to feel claustrophobic.
What if there was something down there that attacked them? Whoever was at the
front in the tunnel would have no way of escaping. Exactly the same thought,
but amplified several times in terror, was going through Kath’s mind.
‘Let me go first’ said their lieutenant,
eagerly, pushing her way through to the entrance. It was then that they remembered, once again,
what an invaluable member of the team Lieutenant Potentilla really was.
No comments:
Post a Comment