Chapter seventy-nine

In Euphorbia’s cave
 
The ginger and white cat lay rather heavily on Kathleen’s stomach. She knew that it was only a dream cat, but nonetheless it was still uncomfortable. She also knew that she wasn’t really in her own bed, with the sun streaming through the windows and with the sound of the gulls calling on the headland.
The cat crawled across her head and looked down at her.
‘d’ya know who I am, batch witch?’ he asked
Kathleen opened one dream eye and grunted.
‘Of course I do…you’re Ionadon…’
Ionadon the cat looked unhappy.
‘I’m Jones!’ corrected the cat, ‘why won’t all you over-schooled witches get it right?’
‘I know that many people call you Jones’ said Kathleen, groggy, ‘of course I do’
‘Oh, you do, do you? Aye, well that’s grand’
‘What are you doing here?’ she asked, drowsily.
‘Waking you up’ he replied, ‘it’s about time you stopped snoozing and started acting’
 ‘But I’m ill’ protested Kathleen, ‘I’ve had something horrible…’
‘Very true, and I’m sorry for it – but you’re all over it now, and you must force those eyes apart’
‘But why? It’s very cosy here’
‘Things are looking bad for your group, they are…’
‘What do you mean?’
The cat jumped off the bed and on to Kathleen’s dresser. He stared at her even more closely, though now he was slightly more distant.  
‘What I mean, quite simply, is that you have the spell and they will need the spell, soon as sparks’
Kathleen remembered the spell and she also remembered her very odd behaviour. She had thought to teach the spell to Hardacre, but why?
‘So, does Mr Hardacre need the spell? Does he need it to fight some Outer Void creatures?’
‘Well, I wouldn’t be knowing, only being a dream, but that seems likely enough. There is only one spell, so you’ll be needing to pass it on, I’m thinking’
 ‘Are they in great danger?’ she asked, finally sitting up in bed.
‘Of course they are,’ grinned the cat.
‘Oh no – how do you know that?’
‘Stands to reason – you form a coven, you fight bad people and things, you mess about with magic and stuff – who wouldn’t be in mortal danger, all the bloody time?’
‘I meant now!’
‘Oh now? No idea. Unless you do, of course… I’m just in your head…’
Kathleen frowned, but continued to get out of bed. The cat leapt on to the windowsill and looked back at her.  
‘I’m going outside, I’m thinking to try and get one of them seagulls – I know it sounds far-fetch-full, but who knows what a batch can do in a dream? Eh?’
And then he was gone.
 
***
The dream continued, and although her eyes seemed to be open, she was astonished at how dark it now was. Before, the early sunlight had suffused everything, but here, she could only see a scatter of light green stars above her. The constellations looked like nothing she had ever seen before and she wondered under what possible sky she could be lying. And the stars seemed to be moving, as if they were wriggling, oh so slowly, across the sky. She almost thought that she could hear the stars singing, but she knew that that must be impossible: stars only sang in ancient stories. The song was very beautiful, if rather sad; it made her think of Tom, and of the pain she had caused him in the past, and now, and in the future, stretching on perhaps for ever. She lay, watching and listening. The stars stopped both moving and singing, and then the constellations formed words.
The illusion was only there for a moment and then her eyes focused quite unexpectedly on the ceiling. She was in a cave and the stars were just some sort of glow worms: they no longer signified anything. She dismissed it as part of the Ionadon dream – she had no idea what it could possibly mean, anyway: it was so clearly the tail end of a dream.
Where was she? She had a moment of terror when she thought that she might be imprisoned, tied up, locked away somewhere in the dark, with no hope of rescue. Then a torch light flickered close by.  
‘You are awake’ said a gentle voice speaking Visneorian with a liltingly soft accent, ‘That is good’
There was a spindly humanoid female standing in front of her dressed in a green robe. Although it was hard to see in the thin light, Kathleen thought that she might be smiling. She had seen someone like this before but she couldn’t remember where.
‘Where am I?’
‘You’re in a cave in the Mountains above Monurbis – this is our refuge. I am Euphorbia, leader of the Orbiverdi’
Kathleen pushed the bedclothes from her chest and sat up. She struggled out of the bed and stood. Euphorbia and she were about the same height, five foot nothing, but Euphorbia, with her very long arms, would never have the problems reaching up to high shelves that Kathleen always had.
A memory finally stirred in her brain.
‘You’re the green eyed creatures from the mountains! You’re the ones who saved Ortia!’
Euphorbia nodded slowly.
‘That is correct; we had our role to play in the victory.  And who are you, my mysterious witch lady?’
‘I’m Kathleen Mannings; I’m from Fanemouth, in Eth and I’m looking for a friend named Laurence Hardacre’
‘Yes, we heard that. We know him – he is a very fine man – but we do not know where he is’
Kathleen was crestfallen. For a moment the adrenaline of waking had overcome her tiredness, but now she began to sag. The kelemeia was gone, but her energy levels were still at an all-time low.    
‘How will I find him, then, my lady?’
‘I’m not sure that you will’ said Euphorbia, frowning, ‘I think it may be best for you to recuperate here until all the strife has passed…’
Euphorbia lifted her torch, and the light finally illuminated them both completely. Kathleen could now see Euphorbia’s eyes – they were the colour of new beech leaves in May. An involuntary shiver went through her; not of fear but of sudden connection.
‘Your eyes are the colour of the stars in my dream’ she blurted out. Euphorbia took a step backwards, confused.
 ‘Could you say that again, Miss Mannings? I am not certain that I heard you correctly’
‘I had a dream – there were singing green stars in the vault of the sky – and they were exactly that colour – exactly the colour of your eyes…’ 
‘That was a dream of Quiena, perhaps, a vision of our god’ explained Euphorbia, with rising excitement, ‘this is a holy place… what else was in the dream?’
Kathleen’s voice began to waver, with uncertainty. She felt very weary.
‘There wasn’t much to it -  the stars moved, and they wrote out a sentence – not even a sentence – more like a phrase, or a command…’
‘What was it?’ asked Euphorbia
‘I’m not sure’ said Kathleen, her heart was sinking fast, could she even remember what was written in heavens that she’d only ever seen in a dream?
‘Please try to remember’ said Euphorbia, with a sudden sternness.
‘I might be able to write it down…’
 
They went in search of more light, a pencil and paper and the proconsul.
They found Bellis out on a ledge that emerged from one part of the complex. It looked straight down over a dense pine forest, which stretched out over the lower part of the mountains. After the briefest of introductions Euphorbia placed a piece of paper on a flat stone and insisted that Kathleen should draw what she had seen in the dream.
The human hesitated and then began to sketch, slowly and with many crossings out, what she remembered of the letters in the sky. Eventually she was happy:
‘Oφθαλμοεὔχλοi  ἀρήγσουσιν’
 ‘Is that Archaic Elven?’ asked Euphorbia
‘Yes, it is’ said Bellis and Kathleen almost simultaneously.
‘Do you not speak it?’ asked Kathleen of Euphorbia
‘Only a very little’ said Euphorbia shamefaced, ‘only what the proconsul has taught us’
Bellis smiled and bowed his head half-apologetically
‘My knowledge comes from my schooldays, and that was an age ago using any race’s calendar…’
‘Can you read it, Miss Mannings?’ asked Euphorbia eagerly.
‘It says – Ophthaloeuchloi  aregesousin’
‘Which means, what exactly?’ asked Bellis, struggling to make sense of it.
‘I think it reads – the green eyes shall aid’
Euphorbia breathed in sharply.
‘It’s a message from Quiena’ she exclaimed, ‘it must be’
Bellis looked unconvinced. He studied Kathleen carefully for several seconds.
‘Do you know who Quiena is, Miss Mannings?’ he asked, very carefully
Kathleen looked aggrieved.
‘Of course I know who Quiena is. She’s the inventor of Dwarven Magic – she designed the Autelephas, the defensive walls of Ortia, and Adrial’s Wall between east and west Visneoria…’
‘So, it’s not entirely impossible that you might imagine a message from Quiena in a dream? Given where you are’ asked Bellis
Kathleen thought about this.
‘In archaic elven?’ she said, ‘why would I dream in my fourth language?’
‘It’s not impossible though’ continued Bellis, ‘you are an educated, intelligent, woman. I’m also sure that you have a good imagination…’
It was too late though; Euphorbia had made up her mind.  
‘It’s a message to us, it must be’ insisted Euphorbia, not taking any notice at all of what was being said, ‘it’s clear we must help Miss Mannings…’
She paused for a second.
‘And Ortia…’ she affirmed.
‘What?’ said Bellis, astonished, ‘I thought you were convinced that Marthian had ordered you to stay put. I thought you were going to stay here until you were told to return to duty. I thought you were sulking’
Euphorbia smiled and took Bellis’s hand. She squeezed it with great affection.
‘That was before Quiena’s message! Now all is clear’
Bellis was, of course, on one level, extremely happy that Euphorbia was now spurred into action, but the logical part of his brain could not help but rebel.
‘It wasn’t a message it was just two, very ambiguous, words, half-remembered from a dream’
Euphorbia let go of his hand and tut-tutted gently.
‘You still remain an unbeliever I see. If you had faith then you would see’
 Euphorbia gestured to Kathleen.
‘Come with me’ Euphorbia said, ‘with Quiena’s help we will surely find your friend’
She swept back into the caverns and Kathleen trailed along behind her, confused and bewildered but a little more hopeful.
‘Don’t forget to give her breakfast, my lady’ Bellis shouted after them. He laughed softly and shook his head. He watched the two figures disappear from sight.
‘Well…’ he said to himself, in wonder, ‘…I still don’t understand religion at all’

No comments:

Post a Comment